1. What is the Ocean Discovery Center?
The Ocean Discovery Centre is a unique Ocean experience attracting local, regional and global visitors to Nanaimo thru an exciting range of interactive displays, robotic submersibles and large format theater experiences. It will reflect on the history, engage with the present, and look to the future of ocean ecology & sustainable technologies.
Visitors will experience and participate in the impact we have had and are having on the Oceans environment and what we can do to preserve and protect the vast natural resource.
2. What is the timeline?
3 to 4 years
3. How much is it going to cost?
It is too early in the project to produce practical costs estimates; initial projections indicate an estimate to build will be approx. $50M
4. Who is going to pay for the ODC?
The NDDA will begin a capital fund campaign raising funds thru Federal, Provincial, Private and Corporate contributions once support in principle has been provided from Nanaimo City Council.
It is important to note that NDDA will NOT be expecting Nanaimo public tax dollars to fund this project.
5. Is there a location?
While a site has yet to be determined, early stage discussions have been held with City of Nanaimo staff. Criteria for a preferred location include:
Within easy walking distance from:
- The Cruise Ship Terminal
- The Casino
- The Port Theatre
- The Nanaimo Conference Centre
- Public parking facilities.
Direct access to Nanaimo’s sea wall walkway.
6. Is the project part of any other project in Nanaimo
The Ocean Discovery Centre is not part of any other project in Nanaimo
7. Will you be hosting an Aquarium or any live sea animals / cetaceans
No. The ODC project is not an aquarium and will not be house any sea animals.
8. What groups are involved?
Currently the following groups are involved in the project:
- Nanaimo Economic Development Corp./Tourism Development (Now defunct)
- Checkwitch Poiron Architects, Nanaimo: Architects & Technical Advisors, www.cparch.ca
- Nuytco Research, North Vancouver: Potential exhibits provider/Technical Advisors
- Numerous business and technical advisors